THE MARY ROSE BELL
This bronze bell is one of the few objects that stayed on the Mary Rose throughout her career. It was made in Malines near Antwerp, a town famous for casting bells. The Flemish inscription running round it reads: 'IC BEN GHEGOTEN INT YAER MCCCCCX'- I was made in the year 1510'-the year Henry VIII ordered the Mary Rose.
It was rung to mark the passing of time, telling the men when to go on or off duty.
The Mary Rose is a carrack-type warship of the English Tudor navy of King Henry VIII. After serving for 33 years in several wars against France, Scotland, and Brittany and after being substantially rebuilt in 1536, she saw her last action on 19 July 1545. While leading the attack on the galleys of a French invasion fleet, she sank in the Solent, the straits north of the Isle of Wight.
The wreck of the Mary Rose was rediscovered in 1971. It was raised in 1982 by the Mary Rose Trust, in one of the most complex and expensive projects in the history of maritime archaeology. The surviving section of the ship and thousands of recovered artefacts are of immeasurable value as a Tudor-era time capsule. The excavation and raising of the Mary Rose was a milestone in the field of maritime archaeology, comparable in complexity and cost only to the raising of the Swedish 17th-century warship Vasa in 1961.
Since the mid-1980s, while undergoing conservation, the remains of the hull have been on display at the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
周全 筆, 日本東京國立博物館藏
Lions By Zhou Quan
Color on silk
Ming Dynasty, 16th century
Housed at the Tokyo National Museum of Japan
阿房宮址 Epang Palace , Xain, China
The Epang Palace (E-pang Palace; also Ebang Palace; simplified Chinese: 阿房宫; traditional Chinese: 阿房宮; pinyin: Ēpánggōng; Wade–Giles: E1-p'ang2-kung1) in western Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, China, was a palace complex of Qin Shihuang, emperor of China. Construction of the palace began in 212 BC. With the exception of its front hall, it was never completed according to findings by Chinese archaeologists.
Its dimensions during the Han are described by Sima Qian as constituting 693 m long × 116.5 m wide, its rammed earth foundation platform measures 1,320 m east to west, 420m north to south, and 8 m in height.
Since 1961, the site of the palace is listed as a Major Historical and Cultural Site Protected at the National Level (1-151).
(Retrieved fro Wikipedia respectively)
Pantheon or Πάνθειον, Rome, Italy
Originally Build by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD), the temple was completed by the emperor Hadrian and probably dedicated about 126 AD.
The building is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns (eight in the first rank and two groups of four behind) under a pediment. A rectangular vestibule links the porch to the rotunda, which is under a coffered concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 142 feet (43 m).
It is one of the best-preserved of all Ancient Roman buildings, in large part because it has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" (Latin: Sancta Maria ad Martyres) but informally known as "Santa Maria Rotonda". The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda. The Pantheon is a state property, ruled by Italy's Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism through the Polo Museale del Lazio; in 2013 it was visited by over 6 million people.
The Pantheon's large circular domed cella, with a conventional temple portico front, was unique in Roman architecture. Nevertheless, it became a standard exemplar when classical styles were revived, and has been copied many times by later architects. (retrieved from wikipedia)
Sunset over Athens or Αθήνα, Greece, viewed from Mt. Lycabettus or Λυκαβηττός
Sunset over Athens or Αθήνα, Greece
Viewed from Mount Lycabettus or Λυκαβηττός
Traces of wood wheel
Unearthed from the south burial pit of Han Yang Ling Tomb, Xian, China
중국 섬서성 서안 한 양릉(한경제 무덤) 출토 바퀴