요저납시 청주 상당산성에 잠깐 들렀다.
멍 때리며 영어 안내판 대강 훑다가 참 성의없고 문법이 맞지 않는 데 천지고 문장도 개판이고 껄껄 혼차 웃는데 외국 사람 일행 셋이 나타나선 저 영어 안내문을 물끄러미 바라보는 게 아닌가?
뭐 어쩌겠는가? 이미 엎어진 물이고 대의만 간취하겠지 위안 삼을 수밖에.
하기사 저 안내판을 세울 적엔 설마 이런 데 빠다 바른 애들이 설마 오겠나 했을 터.
편의상 위 영어 안내판을 그대로 정서한다.
Historic Site No. 212
Location : Sanseong-dong, Sangdang-gu, Cheongju, Chungcheongbuk-do
Cheongju was once called Sangdang in the Three Kingdoms period, which suggests that the mountain fortress may be dated back to that time, Recent excavation uncovered a structure of the Neolithic Age near the South Gate of the fortress. Also found were roof tiles on which the district name was impressed, dating the Unified Silla when Cheongju was a regional center.
The stone wall, 4.2km in perimeter, was built along the ridge surrounding the area, which becomes low in the southeast direction. There are three main gates; the Gongnammun in the south on which a pavilion was built, the Jindongmun in the east, and the Mihomun in the west. Secret doors for emergency purposes were prepared in the northeastern and southwestern parts. A water outlet was built in the southeast, but was destroyed by the construction of the levee in later times.
At three places the walls protrude outward for efficient attacking of enemies. Inside the wall are such structures as two commanding posts in the east(Bohwajeong) and west(Jaeseungdang), and three temples(Guryongsa, Namaksa, and Jangdaesa) to station monk soldiers.
The present state of the fortress was the product of the large scale renovation from 1716 to 1747 and several minor ones afterwards. The number of military soldiers and monk soldiers attached to this fortress amounted to 3,500 approximately. Name of persons responsible for the construction of the fortress and their assignments were inscribed on stone blocks of the wall in several places, Small water outlets were prepared wherever water drains.